“Sonoillumination” is the name for a new and soon-to-be marketed technology that combines ultrasonic pulsation with a clinical laser, for a more efficient and safe removal of everything from tattoos to telangiectasias and port-wine stains to benign birthmarks.
Brainchild of Paul Whiteside, a doctoral candidate in engineering at Missouri University, was the creator of this novel technique that made waves at the annual conference of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery in April. It grasped the attention of many because it solves three major issues when compared to current lasers.
Specifically, lasers from sonoillumination can be more selectively absorbed by the targeted skin area, meaning lower-powered lasers can be used. The system makes direct contact with the skin, which translates into a lowered risk for eye damage because present-day lasers are typically held at a distance from the patient’s skin.
Additionally, Nicholas Golda, an associate professor of dermatology and director of dermatology surgery at the MU School of Medicine, suggests that sonoillumination could potentially lower the number of treatments needed.
Whiteside, along with his adviser Heather Hunt – an assistant professor of bioengineering in the MU College of Engineering – led a multidisciplinary team that tested the system on porcine skin samples, and their paper has been accepted for publication in the journal Lasers in Surgery and Medicine.
The team is presently in the planning stages of developing a start-up company to commercialize the technique.
Written by: MaryAnne Pankhurst
Study titled: Ultrasonic modulation of tissue optical properties in ex vivo porcine skin to improve transmitted transdermal laser intensity.
Get ready for a sweat-free summer. Forget about sweating! At Wilderman Cosmetic Clinic, BOTOX® (onabotulinumtoxinA) is injected into the skin to treat symptoms of severe underarm sweating (severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis).
UP TO 201 DAYS OF DRIER UNDERARMS.
That’s 6.7 months of relief from severe underarm sweating.
BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULTATION TODAY 905.482.3223
– Receive a $50 rebate when you have received a Dysport Aesthetic Treatment (minimum spend of $400.00)
– Receive a $150 rebate when you have received a Dysport Aesthetic and Restylane Treatment in the same session (minimum spend of $1200.00)
Prepaid options available, buy now – use later!
1. Let exfoliation be your best friend! Exfoliation will give your skin a nice GLOW by removing the dead skin. It’s also an aid to help your favorite skincare products sink deeper into your skin. We would recommend everyone to exfoliate at least twice a week, especially in your T-zone area where it is the most clogged!
2. Don’t forget to incorporate SPF into your daily routine! Sunscreen prevents your skin to age prematurely because it blocks UVA and UVB. UVA rays penetrate deeper into the dermis while UVB rays only burn the skin surface. Now your questions may be which SPF rating should you choose for your sunscreen? It should definitely be SPF 15 or higher. You can take the rating of SPF times 10 minutes, meaning you will have 150 minutes before the sun starts to burn. Don’t forget to reapply after 3 hours! Your skin will thank you 10 years from now on.
3. Book your FREE consultation at Wilderman Cosmetic Clinic and find out how you can improve your skin’s appearance! Call 905.482.3223
Wilderman Cosmetic Clinic in Thornhill is offering Dysport® for Men. Dysport®(abobotulinumtoxinA) has been proven to temporarily improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows. It smooths the lines between your brows in a way that looks natural. The result? You still look like you — just smoother. FIGHT FROWN LINES!
Call us today 905.482.3223
You feel energetic. You feel invigorated. You feel confident. But, how you look doesn’t match how you feel. BOTOX Cosmetic® can help by making your look more refreshed and relaxed! Don’t wait, try BOTOX® today! Call 905.482.3223